Friday, April 6, 2012

Spiced plum pavlovas + a nice hint

Spiced plum pavlovas / Pavlovas de ameixa e cardamomo

You know well about my love for Donna Hay’s work: I have some of her cookbooks – cannot live without “Modern Classics 2” – and I’ve been a subscriber to her magazine since September 2006. But for the past year I’ve been having trouble receiving the magazines – last year’s winter issue never arrived and the same happened to this year’s summer issue. I do not know if they’ve changed the shipping method or something, because a friend of mine – who lives here in Brazil, too – has had the same problem. I’d been thinking (with a broken heart) of cancelling my subscription until yesterday, when I saw this on Donna’s website – I purchased the summer issue and now I have it on my computer. I printed one page as a test – wonderful. Since some of you love the magazine I thought you should know about its digital version. Hope you enjoy it!

These pavlovas were the dessert of choice for a dinner with friends last week – I made them because I wanted something pretty and fresh. But what really got my attention here was the plums: they were delicious and paired beautifully with a simple cake I’d baked, too. Just perfect.

Spiced plum pavlovas
slightly adapted from the most wonderful dessert book I own

Meringues:
4 large egg whites (112g)
pinch of salt
¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
2 teaspoons cornstarch
½ teaspoon white vinegar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract

Plums:
450g plums, halved, pitted, sliced into eights
1/3 cup (67g) granulated sugar
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
¼ teaspoon ground cardamom

To assemble:
1 cup (240ml) chilled heavy cream
1 tablespoon icing sugar, sifted

Meringues: preheat oven to 180°C/350°F. Line a large baking sheet with baking paper.
Using electric mixer, beat egg whites and salt in large bowl until frothy. Add cream of tartar. Continue to beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, beating until whites are thick and resemble marshmallow creme, about 5 minutes. Beat in cornstarch, vinegar and vanilla. Drop meringue onto prepared sheet in 6 mounds, spaced 7cm (3in) apart. Using back of spoon, make depression in center of each.
Place meringues in oven. Immediately reduce temperature to 120°C/250°F. Bake until meringues are dry outside (but centers remain soft) and pale straw color and lift easily from parchment, about 50 minutes. Cool on sheet on rack. (Can be made 8 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.)

Plums: combine all ingredients in large frying pan; toss to coat. Cover and cook over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Uncover and cook until plums are tender but still hold shape, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes longer; cool to room temperature. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Transfer to bowl. Cover and chill.)

Before assembling the pavlovas, beat cream and sugar in medium bowl until medium peaks form.
Place meringues on plates. Spoon whipped cream into the center depression. Arrange plum slices on top of the cream and drizzle with the plum juices.

Serves 6

9 comments:

Laura (Tutti Dolci) said...

When I think of pavlovas, Barefoot Contessa always comes to mind as she makes them often. I love plums, so I must bookmark this for plum season!

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

Oh man...another book I have but haven't tried anything from yet (hangs head in shame). This looks splendid!

Unknown said...

I never tried with pavlovas, kind of scare abut the meringue!!! in any case looks delicious!!! uhmmm yummy

Unknown said...

I've never made pavlova, I used to think I wouldn't like it but lately, with all the pavlovas recipes I'm seeing I'm starting to realize I first need to make it and decide if I like it or not!!

Ambika said...

Hey! The pavlovas look stunning!! I also made pavlova recently, but with creme anglaise instead of whipped cream. Such a perfect, light dessert for spring!

Priscila said...

Nice one Patricia! I'm a Brazilian living in Australia and very proud of Donna Hay and Other aussies that have succeeded in promoting food culture. Pavlola is one of those trick ones as both Australians and New Zealanders claim for the dish invention. Regardless, your one looks amazing!

Karen Baking Soda said...

I love Donna!
I was thinking pavlova's today (egg whites in the fridge from yesterdays cake)

WhileHeWasOut said...

Dear Patricia, I really enjoy reading your blog and drooling at the pictures, thus let me give you an award for this beautiful blog! http://whilehewasout.wordpress.com/2012/04/06/1019/

Martha said...

I'been wanting to buy that book, I'm glad to know I wont be disappointed.

Related Posts with Thumbnails